Important information for the Plano AwanaGames and Sparks-A-Rama
New Date! March 23, 2013
Important! Note the required volunteer list, registration deadline,
and Division 1 and Division 2 clarifications for the 2013 DFW event!
Dear AwanaGames and Sparks-A-Rama volunteers,
First, thank you for your willingness to serve at the AwanaGames/Sparks-A-Rama! Your dedication and service will give your clubbers a memory they will never forget. We pray God will use your service to see kids and families come to know, love, and serve Christ as their Savior at this year’s event!
Below are some important things you need to know about this year’s event. Please take time to read through them—several things about this year’s event will be different than previous years, and we want to make sure we are informing your church to the best of our ability. If you have any questions, please contact Bill Helms at firstname.lastname@example.org or Taylor Lassiter at TaylorL@awana.org.
- This year’s event will be held at Prestonwood Baptist Church, 6801 W. Park Blvd, Plano, TX. We will be at the church's Sports and Fitness Center, NOT the Prestonwood Academy Gym. Please be respectful of the campus and building as a strong Christian testimony. As always, keep a careful eye on your clubbers—let’s keep everyone together and not wander in the building.
- Due to our contract with Prestonwood, teams are NOT allowed to bring in outside food or drink into the gym. We are currently working at securing a discount meal option at the Main Street Cafe' in the building. If your team chooses not to eat from the Main Street Cafe and leaves the building, please keep a sharp eye on the time--you don't want to be late!. Also, if you team does a “picnic” outside, please do everything you can to keep the area clean to preserve a good witness to Prestonwood Baptist Church.
- There is no parking fee this year!
- Remember to have your team checked in one hour in advance of start time. This will not be finalized until all team registrations are complete two weeks before the event, but most likely T&T will check in at 8:00 AM and Sparks will need to be checked in by 12:00.
- All teams will need to check in at the Sports and Fitness Center entrance. Coaches should check in for their teams.After teams are checked in, they may enter the gym.
- We are working on a way to display Team Spirit Banners in the building. We know last year this was an issue at this facility. Stay posted on how those will be displayed! After your team checks in, there will be volunteers waiting to help you hang your team’s banner.
- There is no admission cost this year!
- Please keep your team together for final instructions after your teams check-in.
- Please make sure to have your team roster, Day Event Volunteer Applications, and Parental Releases ready to turn in at check-in. All these forms MUST be turned in at Check-in. Please read the instructions on the Events Forms area.
- Please remember to have patience with us during check-in! It is often the most chaotic part of the day, and will set the tone for the rest of the event. Please be ready when you arrive!
- All information below is tentative based on the number of teams registering!
- All Sparks-A-Rama teams will play their division ONE time—there is no playoff for Sparks.
- AwanaGames teams are guaranteed a minimum of TWO rounds, and a maximum of THREE rounds.
- The first round will be used for team seeding for the second round. After the second round, some teams will be eliminated. Our Gospel presentation will be at the end of the second round.
- Awards will be given to all teams after the end of the second round. This will include participation patches, banners, medals, ribbons, etc. like last year’s event. Teams advancing to the third round will be TBD based on the number of teams registering (most likely 1st and 2nd place from the second round).
- Sparks will compete after the second round to give T&T a break for lunch and preparation for the final round.
- Even if your team is eliminated after the second round, we want to HIGHLY encourage you to stay and cheer for the other teams. This will also give your clubbers motivation to come back next year better than ever! Also, it will make the crowd energy for the final round super-exciting!
- Playoff format for the third round is still TBD based on the number of teams registered. Most likely the top 16 teams will advance to the final round, with the top four teams competing for the championship.
- Awards the winning churches of the final championship circle will recieve an "Ultimate Champion" trophy for their church!
- Line Judges, scorekeepers, and timers need to be aware that this is an ALL DAY event—not just one round in the morning. Please communicate this to your volunteers so they are prepared.
- Keep a Christ-like attitude towards your players, Circle Director, and Line Judges. Let’s be a testimony to unsaved spectators!
- All Line Judges need to have completed the online training and online test before judging at the event. These will be posted before the event. NEW THIS YEAR! All Line Judges MUST arrive by 8 AM for an additional "Crash Course" Line Judge training on the morning of the event to make sure all questions are answered. This will help us make it the best day possible for the clubbers!
- All Scorekeepers need to review the Scorekeeper Training for Sparks and T&T. Please be familiar with the training, the scorekeepers form, and the event schedule.
- There is no training required for timers, just a quick thumb and a good eye! ;-)
- Consistently check the AwanaTexas website! It is the final authority on all things pertaining to our event. Please feel free to contact Bill Helms at BHelms@digitalvoicecorp.com or Taylor Lassiter at TaylorL@awana.org with any questions. Please register your teams as soon as possible so we can keep you updated on the latest information.
- Encourage as many of your clubbers to come watch their friends at this event! We have an excellent evangelistic speakers prepared!
- Pray, pray, pray! The devil always likes to stop us when we are doing things God’s way. Pray kids and families will trust Christ as their Savior, and God will use this year’s event in a mighty way!
Registration Deadline is due Sunday, March 10th at Midnight Please register as early as possible!
Also, please note the Volunteer registration sheet attached to the registration page. This must be completed and turned in for your registration to be complete!
Team Registration Fee: $90 per team
Click HERE for maps of Prestonwood Baptist Church. The gym is located in the West Wing of the main campus.
The finalized event schedule will be released once we reach the registration deadline.
8:00 AwanaGames Teams (T&T) check-in. All volunteers check-in (Line Judges,
Scorekeepers, Timers, etc). Line Judge Training.
9:00 AwanaGames begin, first round
10:30 First round of AwanaGames concludes (all teams)
11:00 Second round of AwanaGames begins (all teams)
12:30 End of second round of AwanaGames, Gospel Presentation
12:00 All Sparks-A-Rama Teams should be checked in
1:00 Sparks-A-Rama Begins (all teams)
2:00 Sparks-A-Rama conclusion, Awards
2:30 Third Round of AwanaGames begins (top 16 teams)
3:30 Final awards, closing.